Cooler weather, mild rainfall, and round-the-clock hard yakka have the massive Calgardup bushfire contained, authorities have confirmed. Residents in areas adjacent to the Boranup Forest fire zone are now permitted to return home, provided they follow advice warnings still in place for the fire, which is contained after burning almost 8000ha. Residents further south and north of Calgardup are now in the clear, according to the latest Department of Fire and Emergency Services advice. “The alert level for this fire has been downgraded due to reduced fire activity,” authorities said. “There is no threat to lives or homes. Although there is no immediate danger, you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.” A smoke warning is also in place for all motorists. Firefighters told the Times the past 24 hours had allowed crews to consolidate gains made with containment lines and clearing any spot fires which threatened more road closures. During the weekend, volunteer firefighters worked alongside Parks and Wildlife Service firefighters, undertaking gruelling work to make the most of relieving conditions. Local firefighters including Wallcliffe Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade, said members were upbeat despite end-to-end shifts since the fire broke out on the morning of Wednesday, December 8. “Somewhere in the log books there will be an accurate count of how many crew and how many hours and how many shifts have been worked round the clock since Wednesday,” a brigade spokesman said. “All we know at this stage, it’s quite a bit.” While the area burnt has been re-estimated at 7800ha, the fire is now considered stationary and under control, despite huge plumes of smoke still emanating from the affected area. Caves Road remain closed to all motorists, with hopes of reopening in the next couple of days. Margaret River-Busselton Tourism Association co-chief executive Sharna Kearney said attractions manager Steve Harrison would tour affected sites at Mammoth and Lake caves on Monday to gauge the damage. However, the Times understands firefighters have saved the majority of tourism assets, as well as the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions-run Contos Campground, which was evacuated last week. WA Police confirmed on Saturday they believed the fire was deliberately lit. Strike Force Vulcan reiterated calls for any residents with dash cam or mobile phone footage from the Mammoth Cave area on Wednesday morning to submit it online.