A French backpacker is in critical condition after accidentally dousing himself in ethanol during frantic efforts to contain a blaze caused by a new generator at Mindful Earth Sanctuary on Sunday. The 20-year-old man, identified only as a French visitor named Roman, suffered burns to 90 per cent of his body and was under treatment at Fiona Stanley Hospital after he was flown to Perth. In a statement, sanctuary owner Boh Morel said the traveller was helping with firefighting efforts when a big container of ethanol-based hand sanitiser was accidentally moved to access taps. “Roman, our French guest, poured this on the fire, catching fire before it was flagged as ethanol,” he said. Mr Morel said Mindful Earth would temporarily “go quiet” and was closed to visitors. “We will always strive to build beautiful communities,” he said. “We will not let this terrible event stop this movement that we know is essential for the evolution of humanity.” The sanctuary has sparked fury among neighbours in Karridale angry at loud music, persistent visitors and concerns about safety. Witnesses reported dozens of campers at the site, off Moodjar Court, which was subject to legal action and restrictions last summer when the Shire of Augusta-Margaret River deemed the operators were failing to follow adequate bushfire safety and had breached camping laws. The Times also previously reported a French woman was seriously injured last February when she fell into an unprotected hole during an unsanctioned night-time festival held at the property, which Mr Morel has described as a new kind of community space. A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesperson said 12 appliances, a helitac chopper and two fixed-wing bombers attended the fire which was deemed under control at 1.30pm on Sunday. The Times also understands Shire rangers attended due to concern about campers at the property. DFES labelled the incident “hazardous materials” but told the Times there was no danger to the public. Instead, containers near the fire zone were being investigated and monitored. DFES fire investigators and Worksafe were still looking into the incident which was considered to be caused accidentally.