Neighbours have described their terror at an alleged deliberately-lit house fire in Burnside which has seen a 37-year-old man charged. Police allege the man previously stole a Hyundai sedan from the main street of Margaret River about 10.30pm on Wednesday before crashing the vehicle and abandoning it a short time later on Caves Road. Several hours later, during the early hours of Thursday, Department of Fire and Emergency Services personnel responded to a fire at private short-stay accommodation on Caves Road. Police said the one-bedroom home, valued at about $600,000, was completely destroyed by the fire. The Times understands the private property is La Foret Enchantee, which advertises online as an exclusive gated luxury stay. The accused was located a short time later in the vicinity where he was arrested and conveyed to hospital for medical treatment. Neighbours said they were woken by calls from other disturbed residents about 1am unaware the blaze was raging nearby. Living 200m from the property, Ann Ward said: “I couldn’t believe my eyes” to see “massive flames” through the bush. She was grateful for the rapid response of neighbours as well as the Wallcliffe Volunteer Bushfire Brigade which was first on the scene with three vehicles. “It felt very unreal,” Dr Ward said. “I realised with concern that it was my time to face a big fire. “In a short while, the amazing Wallcliffe fire brigade had three fire engines and crew fighting the house fire that was just 200m from my home,” she said. “They had to tackle very difficult access and terrain in order to fight the fire, as well as dealing with a difficult person at the site.” Another resident who was a witness to the firefighting efforts said the man taken into custody by police was in a distressed and agitated state. Firefighters also had to contend with multiple gas cylinders on site. “I could hear glass breaking with the intense flames,” Dr Ward said. “It was a very dangerous situation. “I would like to thank our incredible firefighting volunteers who go out at all times and risk their own safety to keep us from harm. You are legends.” The accused man is set to face Bunbury Magistrate’s Court over allegations he stole the car and deliberately lit the fire in Burnside which destroyed the holiday rental. He was charged with criminal damage by fire, steal motor vehicle and trespassing and will appear in the Bunbury Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, June 1.