Manager apologetic, embarrassed after restaurant pot fire

Jackson Lavell-LeeAugusta Margaret River Times

A quick response from Margaret River Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service extinguished a structure fire at Squid Lips restaurant on Sunday morning.

With assistance from the Witchcliffe and Wallcliffe Volunteer Fire Brigades, the team established the fire was isolated to the stovetop and it was contained by about 8.35am with limited smoke damage. Restaurant manager Matthew Martin said he left for the night after a 12-hour shift and forgot to turn off the “silly sauce” pot.

“We were really lucky — if it wasn’t for the stainless steel wall the place would have gone up in flames,” he said.

“Thank you to all the emergency services who attended for their prompt response.”

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Witnesses said the restaurant on Bussell Highway was billowing with smoke but the emergency was quickly resolved.

“An unattended pot can be a serious fire hazard and our processes have been reviewed to minimise risk,” Mr Martin said. “Many apologies to my neighbouring businesses, I’m so embarrassed.”

In a separate incident that morning, the crews were dispatched to the Gloucester Park Football Oval Margaret River to assist the St John Ambulance emergency helicopter with a patient transfer.

A man with an existing heart condition was airlifted to Fiona Stanley Hospital in Perth for treatment.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails