Wine awards online this week
The region’s wine lovers can tune into the annual Margaret River Wine Show this Thursday from 7pm.
The 19th annual show is a virtual affair this year due to COVID-19.
A strong field of finalists will contend for coveted artisan-made trophies across all categories.
The big prize – the 20202 Lifetime Achievement Award – will got to Dorham Mann OAM for his critical role in helping the early pioneers in Margaret River.
Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE
Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.READ NOW
Mann helped many with their site selections and early plantings, including Sandalford and Cape Mentelle.
The finalists in the Excellence Awards categories include:
Viticultural Excellence Award – sponsored by Happs Wines
• Mike Gray – AHA Viticulture
• Dave Moulton – Cape Mentelle
Wine Tourism Excellence Award – sponsored by Margaret River-Busselton Tourism Association
• Ashlee Heard – Evans & Tate
• Paris Hokin – Arlewood Estate
• Grace Pigram – Vasse Felix
Show judging takes place Monday to Wednesday at the Margaret River Heart with more than 100 exhibitors submitting 656 Margaret River wines.
Judging this year is an all-star WA-based panel including:
• Cliff Royle (Chair of Judges) - Flametree Wines, Margaret River
• Andrew Dawson - St Johns Brook, Margaret River
• Arch Kosovich - John Kosovich Wines, Swan Valley
• Cath Oates - Oates Ends, Margaret River
• Damian Hutton - Nikola Estate, Swan Valley
• Emma Farrelly - State Buildings, Perth
• Erin Larkin - Wine Writer/Wine Professional, Perth
• Kim Horton - Willow Bridge Estate, Geographe
• Rob Dilletti - Castle Rock Estate, Great Southern
• Ryan Aggiss - Aravina Estate, Margaret River
• Severine Logan - Calneggia Family Vineyards, Margaret River
• Tim Lovett - Leeuwin Estate, Margaret River
• Virginia Willcock - Vasse Felix, Margaret River
Check out the Margaret River Wine Association’s Facebook page for the live feed on Thursday.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails