Coronavirus Australia: NSW records 360 COVID cases, five deaths
Small and medium-sized NSW businesses have been given the green light to restock for Christmas after the state government released an economic recovery plan it hopes will lead “major summer trade”.
It comes as the state records 360 new local COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Monday, as well as five deaths.
A day after the state began to emerge from a near four-month lockdown, Premier Dominic Perrottet and Treasurer Matt Kean on Tuesday announced a package to support business.
Shops, gyms, cafes and hair salons were on Monday overrun as fully-vaccinated patrons responded to weeks of pent-up demand, and as people ventured more than five kilometres from home.
While authorities and business owners were nervous about potential conflict because unvaccinated people are currently denied entry and in-venue service, most in NSW were on their best behaviour.
Mr Perrottet said Tuesday’s announcement was “all about confidence”.
“Last year, as we came through the pandemic, business confidence was key - was crucial - to driving economic growth, to ensuring that businesses continued to employ and bring people on,” he said.
Eligible businesses with an annual turnover between $75,000 and $50 million will be able to apply for a grant of up to $20,000 to compensate for loss of perishable stock, or claim $10,000 for reduced capacity to sell non-perishable items, if they are impacted by a lockdown.
“As we head into the summer months and Christmas trade ... businesses can go out and invest in their businesses,” the premier said.
He insisted any future lockdown would be a last, not first, resort.
The package also includes toll road relief for businesses with an annual wages cost below $1.2 million which don’t qualify for payroll tax.
Those businesses will be able to claim road tolls under the small business fees and charges rebate, increased to $2000.
“We know that is really going to support tradies,” he said.
With NSW already on the verge of another critical COVID-19 vaccination milestone, crowds could also soon be back in stadiums and nightclubs.
More than 80 per cent of the population is predicted to be fully vaccinated as soon as next Monday, triggering freedoms on October 25.
As of Sunday, vaccination coverage sits at 74 per cent.
Unlike his predecessor, Mr Perrottet said he had no concerns labelling Monday a “Freedom Day” for the state but reiterated caution.
Despite current limitations - including mask-wearing, social distancing, strict density limits and venue caps - Small Business Minister Damien Tudehope described the mood in NSW as one of elation.
Later on Tuesday, NSW parliament will resume after a three-month hiatus, with Mr Perrottet facing his first Question Time as premier after the resignation of Gladys Berejiklian earlier this month.
VICTORIA RECORDS 1466 NEW COVID-19 CASES, EIGHT DEATHS
Victoria has recorded 1466 new COVID-19 infections and eight deaths, as farming and agriculture groups call for clarity ahead the looming vaccine mandate deadline.
The health department confirmed on Tuesday there are 19,627 infections in the state, after 68,509 tests.
More than 36,000 Victorians were vaccinated at state-run centres on Monday.
The new deaths bring the toll from the current outbreak to 101.
Agriculture and farming industry groups are calling for the state government to “urgently clarify” employer and worker rights ahead of the vaccine mandate deadline.
The deadline for authorised workers to show proof they have received or booked their first vaccine or have a medical exemption is in three days.
The Victorian Farmers Federation, AUSVEG VIC, Fruit Growers Victoria and a number of other groups have issued a joint-call for clarity around unfair dismissal, privacy rights and employer and employee obligations ahead of the October 15 deadline.
The groups have been speaking to Agriculture Victoria about their concerns, but they say “crucial” information on the vaccine mandate remains unclear.
Among their questions, the industry wants to know whether employers are at risk of being pursued by workers under industrial relations laws, and how employers can request for an employee’s vaccination status without breaching their privacy.
ZERO NEW LOCAL CASES FOR QUEENSLAND
Queensland has recorded zero new locally-acquired cases on Tuesday, with four cases in hotel quarantine.
A total of 16,628 vaccines were administered across the state on Monday, and 8929 tests undertaken.
Queensland has also hit a significant milestone in its vaccination push as the state hit 70 per cent with one dose on Monday and 52.7 per cent fully inoculated.
Ms Palaszczuk paid tribute to the Queenslanders who came forward for testing as other states have been ravaged by the Delta variant.
“In the past 118 days, they have come forward to provide 1,745,000 tests,” she said.
“We have opened 156 vaccination clinics. They have helped deliver a total of more than 2.8 million vaccines including at pop-up clinics everywhere from football finals to high school halls.
“We continue to find new ways to bring the vaccine closer to people ... I can announce that starting this Saturday, vaccine clinics are coming to Bunnings.”
More than two dozen sites have been identified across the state, stretching from the Gold Coast, inland to Dalby and as far north as Townsville.
A home quarantine trial for 1000 stranded residents has also begun as the government begins to hint at plans for reopening.
Health Minister Yvette D’Ath wants Queenslanders to return home safely from interstate hotspots, and the trial will be expanded if successful.
“It is important that we do everything we can to implement strategies that will help manage the virus in our state,” she told parliament on Tuesday.
“As with any trial it offers us the opportunity to evaluate the effectiveness of the program and make improvements to enhance or expand the trial.
“So, if you’ve come forward to participate in this trial, check your emails and texts in case you’ve been offered to home quarantine, we want as many people taking up this opportunity as possible.”
CANBERRA RECORDS 28 NEW CORONAVIRUS CASES
The national capital has recorded 28 new cases of COVID-19 in its most recent reporting period.
Of the new cases, 22 have been linked to known infections, with 14 of those being household contacts.
Nine cases were in quarantine for their entire infectious period, with 16 also being assessed as presenting a risk to others in the community.
The number of people in hospital with the virus has increased to 19, which includes eight in intensive care, six of them on ventilators.
ACT health authorities have said the number of COVID-19 cases associated with the outbreak has risen to 1262, with 806 of those having recovered.
The latest figures come as the ACT looks forward to ending its lockdown on Friday.
Chief Minister Andrew Barr will announce later on Tuesday further changes to restrictions-easing in Canberra’s COVID-19 roadmap.
ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said residents in border communities will be allowed to travel into Canberra for essential reasons for work without having to carry out stay-at-home orders in NSW.
NSW restrictions eased on Monday following the lifting of the state’s lockdown.
“That is going to be a relief for those who live in the surrounding regions who work in the ACT or come for medical care,” she told ABC radio.
“We are looking forward to seeing how the NSW rules change as we come out of lockdown on Friday, as this is an uncertain time for those who travel between the ACT and NSW.”
STATE-BY-STATE CASE BREAKDOWN
VIC - 1466 new local cases, eight deaths
NSW - 360 new local cases, five deaths
QLD - zero new local cases
ACT - 28 new local cases
WA - zero new local cases
SA - TBA
TAS - TBA
NT - zero new local cases
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails