Gracetown shark attack: Second surfer injured in South West

The West Australian
VideoTwo surfers were attacked in separate incidents by suspected great whites on WA's southwest today.

A second surfer has been attacked by a shark in Gracetown just hours after a man was airlifted to Perth for emergency surgery.

The second attack, which happened about 3pm, occurred just kilometres away from an earlier incident this morning.

An ambulance headed to the scene to treat the latest victim, Jason Longgrass, who was attacked at Lefthanders surf break, near to Cobblestones surf break, where a man was bitten on the leg about 8.20am.

The 41-year-old was bitten on his right leg and his board left with visible teeth marks.

Speaking after the attack, that left bite marks to the bone on his leg, Mr Longgrass said he slapped the water in a bid to scare it off.

“It was just heading straight for me, beelining it straight at me,” he told Seven News Perth.

VideoBeaches along WA's southwest region remain closed after two surfers were attacked in separate incidents.

“I went to slap the water, by then he made a sudden acceleration and just nailed the board.

“It wasn’t looking at me it was looking at the board.”

Surf Life Saving WA Tweeted just before 3pm that a 4.5m white shark had been spotted at the surfing spot about 2.30pm.

VideoWATCH: The incident reportedly happened at Cobblestones, south of Gracetown and Cowaramup and the victim has been flown to Royal Perth Hospital. Watch 7 News Perth tonight at 6pm for all the exclusive vision.

The man is thought to have been out in the water despite the beach being closed and Fisheries patrol boats ordering people out of the water.

The orders came after a whale carcass washed up at the beach near Lefthanders.

His attack came just hours after the first victim - 37-year-old father Alejandro Travaglini - was flown to Perth via RAC Rescue helicopter.

VideoA witness to the Gracetown shark attack spoke to ABC Breakfast about the incident. Credit: ABC Breakfast radio.

In that instance, friends used the rope from the victim’s board as a tourniquet and gave him first aid until emergency crews arrived from Margaret River within six minutes, according to a St John Ambulance spokesman.

Mr Travaglini was conscious and breathing when paramedics arrived and was flown to Royal Perth Hospital.

He underwent surgery this afternoon and is in a stable condition. He is being transferred to the state trauma unit where he will continue his recovery.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails