Jim Chalmers: Weapons seized after man arrested for making death threats against Federal Treasurer

A man has been arrested after allegedly making threats to kill Federal Treasurer Jim Chalmers.
Officers swooped on a Macquarie Fields residence and arrested a 55-year-old man this week, after alleged death threats were made in February.
During the raid, The National Security Investigations Team, which is part of the Australian Federal Police, located three gel blasters, three slingshot mounts and a pair of metal handcuffs.
Several electronic devices were also found and have been seized for forensic examination.
“It will be alleged the 55-year-old was responsible for a number of threatening calls to the federal parliamentarian’s office in February, 2026,” the AFP said in a statement.
“The man was charged with two counts of using a carriage service to make a threat to kill, three counts of possessing an unauthorised prohibited firearms (one gel blaster shotgun and two gel blaster hand guns) and one count of possessing a prohibited weapon, namely metal handcuffs.
“These offences carry maximum penalties of 10 years’ imprisonment,” the statement added.
AFP Detective Superintendent Jeremy Staunton said the AFP takes all reports of harassment towards politicians seriously.
“The AFP supports freedom of speech and political expression, but criminal behaviour and threats to kill will never be tolerated,” Det. Supt. Staunton added.
“Hiding behind a keyboard or phone does not mean you are anonymous and out of the AFP’s reach – we have the resources and technology to find you and bring you before the courts.”
Newly appointed shadow federal treasurer Tim Wilson was on radio 2GB moments after the story broke and denounced the threats.
“There is no place for threats or violence in our country,” Wilson said after learning the threats had been made against Mr Chalmers.
The man appeared before the Campbelltown Local Court on Wednesday, where he was refused bail, and is scheduled to reappear before the same court on 4 March, 2026.
The AFP established NSI teams in September, 2025, to target groups and individuals causing high levels of harm to Australia’s social cohesion, including the targeting of federal parliamentarians.
Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails