Giggs trial delayed until August
The trial of Wales manager Ryan Giggs, the former Manchester United player, has been delayed to August 8 due to a lack of court space.
Giggs is charged with controlling and coercive behaviour and assault against his ex-girlfriend and her sister. The trial at Manchester Crown Court had been due to start on January 24.
Giggs, 48, has pleaded not guilty to all charges and remains on bail.
He has stood aside as manager of Wales since being arrested in November 2020 but continues to receive a salary.
Rob Page, his assistant, subsequently became interim manager and oversaw a relatively successful Euro 2020 campaign last summer. He will now lead Wales in the World Cup play-offs in March.
"Unfortunately it has become necessary to vacate this trial from the list," Judge Hilary Manley said. "The reason for this is because there is not a court available to accommodate this trial.
"Due to the large backlog of court cases, which has been exacerbated by the pandemic and the need for social distancing, this is a situation which is a daily reality for the criminal courts."
Giggs' lawyer said his client was "extremely disappointed".
The former player was charged last April when a magistrate's court heard a prosecutor read out a summary of charges including that he struck Kate Greville with a "deliberate headbutt".
Giggs made 963 appearances over 23 years for Manchester United as a player, a club record, winning a haul of honours including 13 Premier League winner's medals and two UEFA Champions League winner's medals.
He represented Wales as a player 64 times between 1991 and 2007 and took over as manager in 2018.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails