Home

Cleanaway truck load catches fire after battery dumped in recycling

Warren HatelyAugusta Margaret River Times
A recycling truck escaped catching fire after a battery was dumped in recycling.
Camera IconA recycling truck escaped catching fire after a battery was dumped in recycling. Credit: Supplied

Fire and emergency crews responded to a garbage fire last Thursday, sparking a reminder to residents about safe rubbish disposal.

About 10am on March 30, a Cleanaway recycling van was directed into the Margaret River light industrial area to dump its load after what was believed to be a battery set the rubbish ablaze.

A Cleanaway spokesperson said residents needed to follow guidelines when filling their bins.

“The load was pushed out within the Margaret River yard and fire services attended site,” the spokesperson said.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

“There were no injuries sustained and no environmental damage.

“Batteries are a major fire risk and do not belong in general waste or recycle streams.”

Margaret River Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service as well as police attended the fire.

A Shire of Augusta-Margaret River spokesperson said recycling efforts should not include batteries.

“Residents are reminded that batteries and other combustible materials should never be disposed of in any kerbside bin as they can lead to fires and the loss of processing equipment like trucks and recycling facilities,” they said.

“Instead, batteries can be dropped off for free at collection points like our Shire offices, and other retailers.

“When handled specifically through these special drop-offs, most batteries can be recycled safely, but can cause significant issues if disposed of incorrectly.”

More information on permissible bin loads could be found online at amrshire.wa.gov.au/residents-community/bins,-waste-and-recycling.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails