Man charged after Margaret River death

Warren Hately, Therese Colman and Gabrielle KnowlesAugusta Margaret River Times

The Margaret River community is in shock following news veteran surfer and local identity Tony Hardy is facing a possible murder charge.

A police investigation is under way due to an incident in Rapids Landing on Tuesday afternoon where it’s alleged the 67-year-old attacked his ex-wife and her husband David Graves, allegedly fatally injuring the other man.

Police swooped on bushland off Clark Road where Mr Hardy was found with his vehicle about 5.30pm. Police detectives and forensic officers had Mr Hardy strip, bagging his clothes for analysis before taking him into custody.

A neighbour who did not want to be named claimed she heard a woman screaming on Tuesday afternoon.

“She screamed out really loudly about five times,” the woman said.

When police and paramedics arrived at the Holbrook Street home about 3.45pm, they allegedly found the 75-year-old man with life-threatening injuries.

He was flown to Perth by the Royal Flying Doctor Service but died in Royal Perth Hospital.

His wife was also hospitalised for injuries she allegedly received in the incident.

Holbrook Street resident Lily Pigram said she was shocked by the alleged violence but had feared something was seriously wrong.

“At about 4pm (Tuesday) there were sirens at the end of our street,” she said.

“When I saw the ambulance and the police, that’s what got me really worried. I see the elderly couple walking around all the time.”

Another neighbour saw police arresting the alleged attacker on Tuesday evening. “I was leaving the rec centre pool last night and drove past a man with a white station wagon ... on Station Road,” he claimed.

“There were two police officers and two police cars.

“Within minutes, two unmarked police cars had also arrived.”

Mr Hardy is a well-known local identity believed to be living out of his car, often seen around public spaces trimming bushes and trees with secateurs.

He faced court in Bunbury on Wednesday where he declined a lawyer and was charged with causing grievous bodily harm and aggravated assault occasioning bodily harm.

Homicide squad detectives say charges may be upgraded before the 67-year-old next faces court in Bunbury next Friday, February 9.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails