The developer of the proposed Westin Margaret River Resort & Spa says a “small error” in its report is to blame for confusion around efforts to fully protect an Aboriginal site in the village development’s footprint. Saracen Property Group project director Joel Saraceni told the Times concerns raised by protest group Preserve Gnarabup last week were unfounded, despite a typographical error in the development application, because other details showed the “gnamma hole” — an ancient waterhole used by Aboriginal people and rare along WA’s coastline — would be protected by a bigger buffer than recommended by experts. “We have reserved almost 400sqm of land for the permanent protection of the gnamma hole, with the buffer well in excess of the 7m requested by the representative of the traditional custodians, Wayne Webb,” Mr Saraceni said. “This increased buffer is reflected in the plans for the development and it is false to say we have allowed a smaller buffer.” The Times last week reported those claims, sparked by concerns from Mr Webb, that a smaller 5m buffer would be established instead. The developer’s application referred to a “10m diameter” buffer, but Mr Saraceni said it was a 10m radius buffer instead. The accompanying ethnography report backed Mr Saraceni’s rebuttal. “Mr Webb requested that the gnamma hole remain in a natural state and noted that it does not require any specific works around it,” the report said. “Rather, it was preferred that a 7m radius area around the gnamma hole be set aside and protected from development. “As noted from the beach village plans for the southernmost part of the site, an area significantly larger than that which has been requested by Mr Webb is proposed to be set aside to protect the integrity of the gnamma hole.” Preserve Gnarabup is opposing the resort application as well as a bid to develop a new village centre for Gnarabup, which includes some de facto residential housing in a precinct featuring tourism villas, as well as a small commercial centre. Protest spokeswoman Beth Carlessi urged residents to make a submission against the development application, with public comment to close on March 2.